Information Skills Tutorial
What will this tutorial teach me?
Many students come to University with different levels of research skills. Some will not have used a Library Catalogue before, others will be unfamiliar with journals and how to search the information held within them. Although much of the tutorial is generic, it does contain subject specific sections that focus on key resources or skills appropriate to particular disciplines.
The Information Skills Tutorial will show you:
- how to develop search strategies and understand the importance of keywords for retrieving relevant information for your assignments
- how to search for books and journals using the Library Catalogue (OPAC)
- what journals are and be able to differentiate between different types of journals
- how to search for journal articles using online databases both on and off-campus and how to access the full text electronic version
- how to access key web-based resources through the Library web pages
- the importance of evaluating the quality of resources
- how to reference the resources you have used